European Data: If Not Now, When?

These guys have a good site. Stockopedia. It is UK based but they have European data and have just added US data to their roster.

Whilst I like their site, it is deficient when compared to P123 for backtesting and statistical analysis. However, they, like P123, are of limited size and therefore capability. In fact, they are so limited in this regard, I don’t even see them as a potential competitor at this stage to P123 which is why I have no problem posting the link to a potential rival. I like some of their well-considered posts on research findings and stuff too. Worth a dig around.

The reason I post this is to question whether the 2 could get together on some sort of joint venture basis to spread the costs of the data which is not inexpensive. Let’s face it, having a European partner would help to defray the costs of European data for P123 whilst providing added services to the existing client bases.

I recall stockcharts.com launching European data some time ago and then stopping the service because of lack of take-up. However, they have recently announced they will put their foot in the water again re LSE listed stocks. However, I think that is a salutary tale about possible take-up that could be expected in the short run.

Certainly, I see a potentially big opportunity in Europe primarily because I don’t think the data has been done to death to the same extent as US data. It could well be possible to use existing models on European data to derive extra value. Probably most true at the individual stock ranking level.

I guess I would summarise this opportunity as being potentially very good for P123 modellers but maybe not so great for P123 so steps would need to be taken to address that risk.

http://www.stockopedia.com/

I’m thinking if Euro data cost is an issue why not asking exist subscribed users to understand how many users are willing to do early signup or commit to signup once euro data is available and maybe in return to be able to access Euro data while it’s still in beta.

gs3, that would be a good start to have an idea, but I dont think the data cost is the issue here, it seems its more the manpower necessary for the development.
I agree that it would be good to have that at least to start to have an idea, and if demand is high, find a way to dedicate more resources to this project earlier.

I think if European data is an additional cost for p123 to provide then we (as the customers) could be asked to pay an additional monthly fee for access to European data – fully optional. Those who don’t want that data shoudln’t have to pay for it.

I’d happily pay for the data.

Marco, is there any progress on this? Would you mind writing a post with future features and priorities for p123? I think there are lots of expectations but not enough clarity on what will happen and when, and what will not.

Thank you,

Dear iAvanti,

I fully support your suggestion. I think it’s a reasonable request given the (very) strong desire for Euro data that exists among what appears to be a large and growing group of users.

@Marco: we have been waiting patiently… C’mon Maestro, where’s that data???

Just to be clear: I would pay extra for Euro data and sign up for a long-term commitment tomorrow.

Sincerely,

D

The current priorities are
1- robustness testing tools ( to be used for r2g as well)
2- r2g redesign
3- a customer support system with “tickets”, knowledge base, revamped feature requests, and issue/project tracking
4- tie up a few loose ends with some data issues, corporate actions (upcoming splits in recommendations), complete flag, point in time economic data.

I think these will keep us busy until end of June. Notice that #3, the customer support system, would allow you to see what we are working on. After June/July is when we plan to tackle Europe. Coincidentally, looks like we are getting two interns from Europe this summer, which will be a big help.

Thanks for the update Marco.

It is a bit disapponting to see that it will not be happening soon, but I trust your judgement.

BR,
Marco

Thanks. 2 questions :

1. will the euro data also start PIT from 1999 ?
  2. side question : if memory serves me well, you wrote that you may change/update your servers. If I understand well, you manage those servers yourself from your office ? Or are they hosted online in the “cloud” so you can add more or less than 11 servers (cpu + ram etc) automatically depending if your customers use more or less computer power ? Sorry I am no expert but just curious ! :wink:

Dear Marco and team,

first of all, I am very much looking forward to the release of the mentioned robustness testing tool!

Secondly, while all other innovations on your list and the ones done in the past months are great and helpful, the inclusion of European Data will really take this site TO A NEW LEVEL. —> You will not only make your European users and R2G designers very happy with this, but also attract further users who aim for more international diversification. The day you add this feature I will open an additional account - I promise.
Lets keep fingers crossed this day comes very soon.

Hi Marco

I was also hoping you were introducing European data sooner. For me, above anything else of the features (except for limit order simulations) European data was my absolute top priority.

Best regards,
Andreas

I too would appreciate this being prioritised, particularly over matters that are largely cosmetic.

Hi Marco,

As an additional pulse check, I would also have welcomed prioritizing European data - particularly over #3 or #2 (I imagine #4 is needed as required “maintenance”). Note that European data can also be seen as the optionality for a degree of robustness test i.e. “new data”.

This said, I trust your good judgment

Kind Regards,

Jerome

I second that :slight_smile:

From what I remember, this is the next / current big Project.

Even when I second that, p123 is one of the best things that happened to me in life!

Regards

Andreas

I would like European data, but trust Marco and company’s judgment, and am fine with the current prioritization.

Europe is coming, that is good news.
I also would have liked to see it coming sooner, but I understand this is not the only project Marco and his team are working on.
I also would be happy to pay an additional fee if Europe was added sooner.
Werner

Dax today: -2.6%
Dax this week: -5.5% (so bad not seen for 4 years, supposedly because of the Greek bankruptcy danger)

I am not eager to invest into European / German stock market soon. :slight_smile:

Matthias

Very well said Matthias, look at one day of performance to judge a market. The past months are not relevant. And the future even less so. Its the way to invest! :slight_smile:

iavanti,

very nice answer (The biggest weekly loss in 4 years can be seen as sign for market nervousness and increased downside risk. Or not?).

Europe has the Greece crisis, weekening economies in the west and south, the Ukraine/Russia conflict… All these affects the European stock markets much more than the US market. I see no good chance/risk ratio in Europe in the next months. USA seems to be better in this regard.

And other markets, e.g. China, may be Russia, seem even more lucrative to me.

Matthias

Dear Matthias,

I am fully with iavanti on this point.
If we start arguing that we do not need trading data for a specific continent because of a (potentially!) weak outlook, we can shut down this whole platform on the long-run because sooner or later all markets will enter phases of weakening macro environment and/or be more volatile than before.
Still, it is the big advantage and benefit of P123 to give us the necessary set of tools to deal with different market situations, and hence, the European capital markets being the 2nd most important in the world should be covered.