I Get different simulation results with exact same system / timeframe

We’ve been doing some webinars. I could do a few if there’s enough interest.

Both.

Yuval,

Thank you.

Can you tell us which provider is used for each of your designer models?

Marco seems to have some pretty strong opinions on the quality of data (CompuStat vs. FactSet). I do not have an opinion on this yet myself. Not an informed opinion.

But for people with a strong opinion (like the opinions expressed above by Marco and Quantonomics) would knowing which data provider a model uses be something Subs could look at? Maybe this is already provided. I do not subscribe to a model.

Just an idea/question. As I said, I do not have an opinion now. But the question of whether subs should be allowed to look at this if they think it is important aside, I would not mind being able to compare the 2 groups to get somewhat of an informed opinion on the best use of my $12,000 (per year).

That is real money for some people. And I could rent a pretty nice luxury car with that kind of money (or come up with enough money total to buy a small beach house/condo). I do not think this is a trivial question for most of the members.

For some people at P123 there may not be a choice and maybe they would not mind possibly being able to turn off the noise (and have some data instead) when people on this site tell them how bad their data is.

Best,

Jim

All my designer models switched to FactSet when P123 made the switch in late June and have been based on FactSet ever since. Prior to that they were based on Compustat data, like everyone else’s.

Thank you Yuval,

So I will bet anyone a dollar that the best comparison I can come up will show FactSet data to be at least as good as CompuStat (and CapitalIQ).

In case anyone has not already noticed the Designer Models are already ahead of their benchmarks over the last 3 months. While over the last year the Designer Models trail significantly.

I will bet that the year after switching to FactSet data looks better (mean excess returns of all of he models with complete data) compared to the year before using CompuStat.

Hard to do worse frankly. And I will actually be up $12,001 over the CompuStat crowd if I win (so not too embarrassing for me). Yeah, I will take that bet.

Yuval, I suspect you might agree that the trashing of FactSet data without evidence could be a mistake. Maybe you do not agree, but I do think P123 did a good job on the FactSet data and I would like to learn more about that data (as illustrated in my above posts). If you are not particularly fond of the FactSet data I would be happy to take a dollar bet with you.

I am just looking for some real data on some of this stuff. And I am willing to bet that some of (a lot of) what we think is true or are told is true is not. I do not claim to know ahead of time where we are wrong. I would like to be exposed to enough data to eventually find some of the things I have been wrong about.

For those who already know the answers, I will take your bet.

Best,

Jim

I agree, one should not fixate on numbers, but rather on construction strategy. However, given that one thinks it was done thoughtfully, the discrepancy in returns is disconcerting.

We’ve been doing some webinars. I could do a few if there’s enough interest.
[/quote]

I would look forward to that. I enjoy your posts.

@yual, yes that is the right approach, do not get spooked by the difference in the backtest, test a lot, digg into the factors and backtest. Then choose the ones with the best theoretical base and captital curve behaiviour and trade them…

Jerome,

I think you make an excellent point here. And I spent some time looking at Marc’s stuff at Chaikin Analytics (again) this morning.

I am not one who thinks the posts have to stay on the topic of the original post. Your posts on any topic are always welcome on any thread as far as I am concerned. I truly enjoy and find value in every one of your posts.

If you meant this post to be related to data at P123—Marc is at Chaikin Analytics now?

And if I wanted to blindly follow Marc’s methods that is where I would be now: Chaikin Analytics (with their data provider). It appears that Marc has a lot of input there.

And this is just a plain simple statement: That is were I would be.

Thank you for reminding be to go to Chaikin Anaylitic this morning. Marc is excellent. And he does not like to brag about it but his Finance Degree and long experience have served him well.

Expanding on that last a little. I do not want to necessarily want invest in the same way Marc does (although subscribing to that site is not off of the table for me). But Marc does–by long thought process or by natural instinct developed through years of training–arrive at some very good answers. Pretty much always good opinions that need to be taken into consideration. And I am sincere in that.

You make an excellent point. I do not see how it related to my desire to understand the data I am currently using here at P123 to make decisions on my retirement fund and that is all good. Thank you for your post.

Best,

Jim