Investing in a Bubble

I think my strategy would thrive in a rerun of 2000-2003 and utterly fail in a rerun of 2008. But the bounce back (the 2009 scenario) would be massive.

I just ride to the bottom. My biggest percentage gain of the entire year last year came the day after my portfolio hit bottom. If I were to put some of my portfolio into cash at some point along the way down, I would have missed my biggest opportunity for gain.

Remain fully invested and ride it out. It has worked for me in three small-cap bear markets so far (February 2016, December 2018, and March 2020, in all of which the Russell 2000 lost more than 20% of its value). In none of those cases did I lose as much as the R2000, and in all three I walked away with major gains a few months later.

For the benefit of those who are not as old as I am, the market this week reminds me very much of the first few months of 2000. At that point in time, the fish were jumping into the boat. I made 3.5x my money in three months trading on breakout/pullback. That went on for a few months then we had the dot.com crash. I am not saying that we are going to have the same thing happen here, but the market action is eerily similar. We are entering a stock pickers dream. Enjoy this for the next few months but watch out come spring time.

^ +1