Why stay with P123

Great stories all. Thanks for sharing.

My story: I only found p123 within the past year. I’d been using the AAII Stock Investor database for a long time and just didn’t understand the capabilities of portfolio123 or I would’ve probably tried it sooner. I was trying to do quant stuff by exporting data to Excel and build ideas based off the academic studies and reading about other investors’ process, but there’s no substitute to having a good backtester. Like I say, I would’ve tried p123 soooner if I understood the capabilities better. Marc Gerstein’s articles w/ process examples on seeking alpha helped me better understand why I needed to give this a try.

• Right now, for me, p123 is primarily an interesting research tool. I’m still building out models and have only put a small amount of cash into systems while I’m working on things. I do like the analysis.
  • The first models I built were these “trade every week” type models, and I tried that a bit and realized I’m not ready for that.
  • Now I’m focusing more on longer holding times and building things that work well on 3-6 month timescales.
  • I realize I have a considerable weakness in the “execution” side of things. For whatever reason I dislike the actual trading aspects -placing and managing trades. I don’t know why, but I can’t stand it. I feel like there’s much for me to learn related to actual trading and implementation skill because it’s not intuitive to me all. I know there are people who can trade deftly, but I’m just not one of them, so I’m trying to build systems that don’t require frequent trading, at least until I get better at it. As it stands, I can spend entire days watching watching orders and trying to get good prices but not have any idea if I’m doing any good. There is no zen :wink: For now I’m defaulting to just placing limit orders prior to the open, but I have no good process for all the positions that don’t fill and have to be manually adjusted as the day (or days) move forward.
  • That said, I realize that higher turnover is where the really high returns are - at least for accounts of my small size - so I think I’ll eventually end up there, but I need to get much more fluid or capable on entering/exiting positions. I kindof wish I had a trading bot that was well tuned to shorter term market movements so I could just hand the execution parts off to with instructions: “Here’s what I want to buy, get me good prices on executions today or over the next few days”.
  • I greatly appreciated the ability to show what doesn’t work using p123. There are many ideas that I had accumulated that just were not providing edge and I’ve safely discarded those, or at least I have to think about approaching from a different angle.
  • edit: I guess cognitively I have issues trusting what I feel is an expensive market, so I’m constantly concerned about a correction. At the same time I tend to agree that bull markets don’t end because of high valuations, and if rates stay low markets can stay elevated. This concern about market valuations can lead to a behavioral weakness for me. I’m not sure how to deal with it other than suck it up and realize something bad could happen at any time.

Personally, I retired young from a corporate job (it’d be fair to say I burned out). In investing I’m a hobbyist, and have always liked investing since I bought my first stock from yard-mowing money, but this is a chance to see if I can do better with my investments. It’s hard to let go of the more fundamental approaches though. I still like reading conference calls and learning about specific companies. With the quant approaches it’s hard for me to let go and just blindly buy/sell a ticker (and even after I buy I sometimes start studying the companies to learn what they’re about) but the backtesting and analysis tools give me better confidence in the entire process. If I can in practice get the returns and risk profiles of some of the models I’ve worked on (and if I can behaviorally stick with it), I’ll be happy with the results. I’m still in my 40s, so time is probably on my side (fingers crossed), but it’s not infinite. :wink:

Hi Andreas,
thanks for your comment.
I am in Wiesbaden.
In for a coffee and a casual meeting ?
Werner

based upon my own exp as a pro trader,

I was very good at the DOM trading ( market making ) on smallcap NYSE paper,

then I began to make typical trading and investment errors in search of the attainment of more dough, I began chasing my own market, and one time got cornered by bigger capitalized investors, bye bye my hard earned

thereafter it was time for to reflect, conclusion start again using fundamentals, longer term investment strategy etcetera, hence my sub to P123, really great for exploring the possibilities, the data sourced is incredible and the other functions ranking, screener, backtester no other similar in the marketplace.

it also give,s one the ability to test ideas and strategies taken from world of investment and the backtester takes no time to evaluate the input criteria,

for me I can see not just possibilities, but investment realities using P123

Hi Werner, oh thats close I am in Dortmund, I come around, here is my e-mail adress info@andreashimmelreich.de, lets connect “between the years”…, what about the 26.12 14:00 Uhr in the Käfer Restaurant Wiesbaden? A week later also fine by me

I just dared to calculate all my years.
What I read here is also my own experiance. i had a nice little momentum strategy (good for > 20% ann. on big caps with DDs of around 20-30%), but I was so burned by the bear market 2000 - 2003, that I could not put the trades on, a missed opportunity.

My experiance is, that a good system is important, but to follow it is even harder. I do not know what changed, but I guess that
it has a lot of to do with becoming a more balanced, rounded person, that made peace with not beeing able to controll everything.
Interestingly I was that in 1996, but the first early success really killed my ethics.
The stuff that I learned in my every day job and with my family (providing, raising kids, my wife that 10000000% believes in me) somehow “trandfered” to my trading and I got my “good hand” back I had right in the beginning.
Also of cause 20 Years of experiance help now and to know, that markets turn and that you can not be invested
all the time…

Do not get me wrong, I do not want to brag, just show that the psychological side of trading and investing is important and that
what you are is going to reflect in your trading…

1996 100% First Year, Bic Cap Momentum Discretionary
1997 46% Momentum Discretionary
1998 147% Momentum Discretionary
1999 53% Momentum Discretionary
2000 55% Momentum Discretionary
March 2001 55% Here I thought I am unbeatable, a big mistake!!!
End of 2001 -41% Was short in March 2001 but went long again
2002 -50% was long!
2003 0% took 50k out to finance a PHD (Trend Following, Momentum)
2004 0% PHD done
2005 0% Break (concentration on main Job, mental stabilization)
2006 0% Break (concentration on main Job, mental stabilization)
2007 0% Break (concentration on main Job, mental stabilization)
2008 -25% should have used my PHD System (it was out of the market!!!)
2009 -25% should have used my PHD System (it was out of the market!!!)
2010 20% Momentum (mostly Gold Stocks)
2011 10% Joined www.portfolio123.com and systemized
2012 30% 5 Stock Momentum, Value
→ 2013 20% 100 Stock Book, Momentum, Value, Micro Caps, 3 Month rebalance
2014 15% 100 Stock Book, Momentum, Value, Micro Caps, 3 Month rebalance
2015 0% 5 Stock Momentum, Value (should have sticked to the 100 Stock Book!)
2016 58% Improved old System that I used from 2012-2014, but weekly rebalance
2017 31% Improved old System that I used from 2012-2014, but weekly rebalance

Hi Andreas,

check your private message here on P123.
Werner