2021 stock-picking contest

What does Finding NIO mean?

And when was this model created? We can’t have a model created in mid-February compete against a bunch of models created in December!

moved the late entry into Private.
Now, those portfolio started in 1st week Jan 2021 only in competition.

I am following forum rules.

Thanks,
Kumar

Steve,

Here, Kumar-MidCap Growth is my portfolio.
As Yuval suggested to have outsider ideas; i have included KIPLINGER and CrossingWallstreet as it is published in their websites.
Now, I have only 1 entry in the competition.

Thanks,
Kumar

I noticed that many of the 2021 contest portfolios have disappeared.

3 of Kumar’s portfolios are gone. He had one of his own & 2 outsider portfolios (see the post above yours). He hasn’t logged in since April 30. Maybe he’s not a paying subscriber anymore.

Yuvol - any chance of resurrecting those portfolios? The integrity of the contest is being damaged.

Steve, I have all the inlists for the 20 portfolios. To date only 5 have out-performed SPY.
Total Return since 1/1/2021 (SPY= 21%)
yuval 28%
fandethai 29%
jim101 24%
azinvestor 25%
RTNL 38%

Thanks, Georg - I can only find 8 of the ports listed publicly :slight_smile: It would be nice to see how each of them is performing, in particular Kumar’s ports, but I guess that probably will never happen.

I have recreated two of Kumar’s ports:

https://www.portfolio123.com/port_summary.jsp?portid=1657031
https://www.portfolio123.com/port_summary.jsp?portid=1657032

Georg - Kumar’s third port “Eddie ElfenBein” had 25 stocks in it. Do you know if there was an attempt to reduce it down to 20 stocks?

Anyways, there are still 10 ports that don’t appear to be publicly tracked.

If this contest is to continue in the future, then someone needs to enforce the rules (one 20-stock port created before Jan 1st) or it becomes a meaningless exercise :slight_smile: And all ports should be public.

here is 2021 kumar’s list.
ALGN AMZN APPS CELH ETSY FND INFY NEO NFLX NOW PAGS PAYC PCTY PODD RGEN RPD SQ TDOC TEAM VEEV

“Eddie ElfenBein” list was not reduced to 20:
Here is the list:
ABT
AFL
ANSS
BR
CERN
CHD
CHKP
DHR
DIS
FDS
FISV
HEI
HSY
ICE
MCO
MIDD
MLR
ROST
SCL
SHW
SLGN
SYK
TMO
TREX
ZTS

The winner of the 2021 stock-picking contest is RTNL, with a return of 36.4%.

fandethai came in second, with a return of 32.2%.

Jim101 came in third, with a return of 29.8%.

These were the only contestants out of about fifteen to beat the S&P 500.

If each of the three winners would like to explain the rationale behind their picks, maybe we could all learn something from you.

Yes, the returns of the various lists were no too great. Yuval very diplomatically did not post all the returns.
It just demonstrates that trading is required to beat the S&P500.

For what it’s worth, here is my 2022 list of 20 stocks:
ABBV
ABT
AMAT
AVGO
BDX
CAT
CMI
CSCO
EMR
GD
GRMN
HOLX
HPQ
MDT
MTD
NTAP
SNA
TMO
TXN
UPS

Agree 100%. And for 2022 I would add that being long is probably still the best strategy.

My list ticker(“TSLA AMD NVDA CDNS LRCX MRVL SNPS AAPL INTU KLAC BLDR ACLS ARCB BXC AOSL CLFP LPX HIMX DHI SMID”) First 10 are top percent gainers previous 5 years, last 10 are diversified momentum stocks by industry with good fundamentals and technicals from my stock picking dartboard.

Here’s mine;

https://www.portfolio123.com/port_summary.jsp?portid=1667933

Uses high PE as a sentiment indicator.

Walter

Hi guys, hard to beat the index, but luckily I managed in that contest.
I did not used portfolio123 for my picks as I am not subscriber anymore, just my own tools and a garp+momentum approach for long term picks that I am using in real life and improved during 2021 year. So I am ready for the 2022 contest !
I wish you all a good health for that new year and thank you Yuval for maintaining that friendly contest :slight_smile:

My Submission for 2022:
Ticker(“BJ,CMCSA,EBS,SFM,SWBI,SWKH,TGNA,VZ,WERN,WU,NRG,KO,PG,HSY,BRK.B,ABC,AMZN,INTC,GE,T”)
This is the same strategy as previous years, a combo of low volatiliy, dividend, and discretionary stocks.
Should we be reporting Sharpe winners as well?

Fwiw, here is my contest history for all (apologies in advance for any oversights/errors):
https://www.portfolio123.com/app/screen/summary/191518?st=1&mt=1

Here is the thought I had used in constructing the portfolio.
Since momentum and sentiment can be relatively short term signals, and the contest was for 1 year, I used quality and value as the bedrock for the portfolio. I have used this approach in my portfolio for a number of years in my taxable portfolio.

I usually make adjustments to GAAP numbers for calculating my own measure of quality, along with tests for accruals, coverage, etc. The screens are a starting point.

Hope that helps

My picks were a composite of several strategies, but in all cases the ranking within the strategies was a combination of quality and value.

The quality and value parameters were related to the strategy theme. For example, the dividend portion of the portfolio used various yield measures in the ranking system.