Cash/Cash Equivalents/Long-term Investments

Hi guys,

While trying to find a ranking system / screener for companies with much cash on hand, I had difficulties to use the applicable criteria. CashEquivQ seems to be an accurate measure for cash and cash equivalents + short-term investments on the balance sheet. However, long-term investments are not included in CashEquivQ. For example, Apples long-term investment position of $160,443 billions is included in AstNonCurOtherQ (which is $173,152 billions currently).

Is there any measure which states the complete cash position of a company. And, furthermore, is there any measure which states the net cash position?

Thanks in advance!
Martin

Cash equivalents are distinguished from other investments through their short-term existence; they mature within 3 months whereas short-term investments are 12 months or less, and long-term investments are any investments that mature in excess of 12 months.

Another important condition for cash equivalent is that it should have insignificant risk of change in value; thus, common stock cannot be considered a cash equivalent.

Source: Wikipedia

Thanks for your answer. I would assume that apples short-term long-term investment position does not consist of any common stocks (at least mostly).

Furtheremore, the CashEquivQ also includes marketable securities ( I checked that with the oracle B/S).

There is still the open question if there is a measure for long-term and short-term “cash” (Cash and cash equivalents, long-term and short-term marketable securities which are not held for any operating reason).