Counting number of cmpanies in a sector/industry

Is there a way to do this?

thank you

If you are running a screen and you want to add a column with the industry count, then make this your last rule: showvar(@IndCount,IndCount)

If you want a function that returns the industry count, then use FCount(“1”, #Industry).
If using FCount in the screen and you only want to show one row per industry, then use this rule after that FCount rule: FOrder(“mktcap”, #Industry) = 1

Thank you Dan.

Actually I want to rank according to 3 criteria:

• find fragmented industry (ie many companies in industry)
  • find the largest player in such an industry group by sales
  • the market share of the largest player should still be a small portion of the industry.

I would like to do that both in screener and ranking. Since, i do not program that often, any help will be appreiciated

I created a public screen with a ranking system that does what you asked. Make a copy of the screen and ranking system since this is in a test account and wont be there forever. Let me know if you have any questions or if anything doesn’t work the way you want it to.
https://www.portfolio123.com/app/screen/summary/285464?mt=1

These are the screen rules used.

@NumberCompaniesInInd:FCount("1", #Industry)  //# of companies in Industry
@SalesOrderInInd:FOrder("SalesTTM",#Industry)
@IndSales:FSum("SalesTTM",#Industry)
@MktShareOfIndSales:(SalesTTM / FSum("SalesTTM",#Industry) * 100)

[OFF] //Enable rules below if you want to screen by these rules
[OFF] @NumberCompaniesInInd > 10  //fragmented
[OFF] @SalesOrderInInd = 1  // largest player in such an industry group by sales
[OFF] @MktShareOfIndSales < 50  // market share of the largest player should still be a small portion of the industry.
@Industry:Industry
1 Like