Factor Persistence Paper

Persistence in factor-based supervised learning models Nov 2021

By Guillaume, Coqueret Emlyon Business School

1,206 large firms listed in North America (US overwhelmingly)

years 2000 to 2019

Each stock is characterized by 93 characteristics (factors)

Most predictors depend on fundamental data that is disclosed every quarter

any missing value is replaced by the last non-missing value, unless more than 12 missing months

four horizons for future returns 1, 3, 6 and 12 months

Boosted trees aggregate simple decision trees, each new tree added to the ensemble aims to improve the fit.

Training/Sample period 6,12,24,48,96 M, Buffer Period 1,3,6,12 M, Holding period (test)

Trained 5,856 models and 7.07 million returns in the Experiment.

Fig. 9. Cumulative returns.

Fig. 11. Average variable importance

Can you kindly provide the link to the paper? I can't make out the details of those charts and what each label represents. Than you!

Looks like this: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2405918821000143

Just for fun I took the rank of 100 (sorted) stocks for a P123 ranking system with about 30 features on 1/7/23 and the ranks of the same (sorted) stocks (with the same ranking system) on 9/9/23.

The 100 stocks were randomly picked by their P123 stock ID (starting with the lowest ID number).

Then in an Excel Spreadsheet I found the Pearson correlation of the 2 ranking systems:

Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 6.49.15 AM

Conclusion: The author's findings about autocorrelation of factors over an extended time period may apply to P123 ranking systems.

Jim

I should have noted their conclusions in their words:

1. As in Lettau and Pelger,19,20 we argue that focusing more on cross-sectional fit and less on global fit is beneficial to out-of-sample portfolio allocation.

2. Our second core finding is that accuracies (and profits) are the largest when the predictive models are built on deep samples and when the dependent variable is the long-term future return. Third, we document that important drivers of returns depend on the horizon of the returns.

3. Liquidity and momentum matter in the short term while fundamentals are more prominent for long term returns.

My thoughts: Pick your investments with long term fundamentals, enter and exit on momentum.

1 Like