https://www.stockopedia.com/screens/?edition=us&sort=5year

It is rarely for me to recommend a website, but this one was excellent and can provide many useful ideas for ranking systems or screens on 123P.

AAII has some of the same, but has concealed the criteria for how they have put up the screen rules for the specific Gurus (book), but here we find all of the screen rules, as well as (a short) backtesting in numerous foreign markets.

A nice resource for inspiration : https://www.stockopedia.com/screens/?edition=us&sort=5year.

If anyone is duplicating the ideas (Gurus), I hope they disclose them so we can see how they are performing on this platform.

Here are the top three:

https://www.portfolio123.com/app/screen/summary/272340?st=1&mt=1
https://www.portfolio123.com/app/screen/summary/272341?st=1&mt=1
https://www.portfolio123.com/app/screen/summary/272342?st=1&mt=1

They’re not too hard to create. If you have trouble creating others, let me know.

I have no idea how they backtest–how often do they rebalance? Is there a minimum holding period? What’s their slippage?

Thank you!

No slippage and trading cost is added, and there is altso this under each screen " Studies based on equal weighted portfolios of max 25 stocks rebalanced quarterly. Qualifying shares below updated daily. Past performance not indicative of future returns."

p123 Should add more of theese screens.

P123 can’t copy another company’s screens and offer them to subscribers. That would be intellectual property theft. That’s why we’ve come up with our own screens.

I’m curious: why do you think Stockopedia’s screens are better than P123’s screens or AAII’s screens?

• Yuval

Yuval, why is the currency GBP for this screen?
Tiny Titans Stockopedia Currency in GBP

Because Stockopedia’s screen used GBP. I was just copying their rules.

Yuval, you are totally correct.
Yuval, you are totally correct.
I also believe that p123 has some excellent systems.
However, there are numerous compelling reasons to use Stockopedia:

1. Access to the foreign market as well as the Norwegian market

2. Access to 80 unique guru strategies

3. It is less expensive than p123.

However, there are major gaps when compared against p123. Furthermore, we will soon have access to the international market via p123.

1. It is less expensive than p123.

Their USA + CAN is 550/year . Our Screener level is $299/year and you can backtest 5 years.

Absolutely correct.

But Stockpedia DOES have a slick site that I bet is doing a lot of business. I even thought about signing up for maybe 10 minutes (that would not necessary mean leaving P123).

Stockpedia has one thing in common with Zacks. Zacks also does a decent business too, I would guess.

Both Zacks and Stockpedia have a single ranking system that can be followed out-of-sample (and therefore it is PIT) and used in their provided screener. Zacks has a much longer out-of-sample period. But there is no cherry-picking for either site as it is just one ranking system.

BTW, Stockpedia’s ranking system results are not that great–unless you compare their results to the FTSE, I suppose. About 9% annualized over the last 10 years and it has not done that well recently. So it is not clear that you could not have just gone to Vanguard and put your money into VTI (12.63% annualized for the last 10 years) and have done just as well. While slippage is not included in Stockpedia’s data, it is also rebalanced quarterly (not a ton of transactions) and it clearly does beat the FTSE. So a mixed result, but not an entirely negative result.

I am a member of Zacks and I intermittently upload their ranking system into P123’s In-List to see if Zacks adds any value to the sentiment factors P123 provides. I am not sure that it does. But it is easy and it has some out-of-sample results (since January 1 1988). Also Fidelity’s site–that follows analyst’s recommendations–has independently verified some of Zacks claims.

Fidelity also has a single ranking system with out-of sample results (first image). Specifically, Starmine has a propriety ranking system (developed using a reinforcement learning method) for aggregating analyst’s recommendations. I have also uploaded their summary-opinion (and verification) of the analyst’s recommendation available at Fidelity (and used for Starmine’s reinforcement learning method). But the analysts’ opinions can be accessed separately at Fidelity E.g Refinitiv/Verus (see below). That is a nice P123 feature that all of this can be uploaded and each opinion or ranking system can be used separately or combined at P123! Combined and followed as a port or ports at P123.

Yuval is correct, IMHO. Fidelity’s site is worth checking-out. The second image is an independent tracking of some of those analysts’ opinions available at Fidelity’s site.

P123 cannot pursue all of the good ideas presented in the forum but they should take a few of them seriously. Some of the ideas that they may accept as valuable take time to develop. In the meantime, we can already use some of the other site’s good ideas at P123 without any changes needing to be make at P123.

While my post is perhaps away from the topic of guru screens, I agree with the general suggestion that Stockpedia has some strengths. And I apologize for the length of this post. But it is the clearest method for starting with proven out-of-sample results, using P123 (with examples provided). This is something a new member could do today without having to develop their own out-of-sample results or develop a reinforcement learning method that they hope might improve on Starmine’s professionally managed method. Yuval was the first to recommend Fidelity’s screener. I just expanded on one of its strengths and how it can be used with P123 (which I have done with positive results and I may go back to it at some future date).

BTW, Marc Gerstein went to a site with a single ranking system that can be used in a screener (Chaikin’s ranking system uses fundamentals as well as some technical indicators including Chaikin Money Flow and relative strength): https://www.chaikinanalytics.com Hmmm…the method has had some marketing successes. Not a feature suggestion unless P123 finds a business case for it, however.

Me, I will just consider using P123’s excellent in-list again with the most proven ranking systems/analyst opinions available–wherever I find them at a reasonable price–and let others worry about the business case. Also, trying to tear down the obvious successes of the above sites might only serve to make me look uh…oblivious, to find the kindest word possible for myself were I to do that.

It may not be of value to anyone, but sometimes before buying European stocks, I have done an extra check on the website to ensure that there is a score above 80.

Hello Share Price - NSQ:MOMO Stock Research | Stockopedia and see more here: Factor Investing Guide: The Value Factor | Stockopedia

However, I have no way of knowing how this score would have performed historically. Therefore, I have experimented with different methods to weight the three factors they use, Momentum, Quality, and Value until I was able to find stocks that scored top on P123 and Stockopedia.

After some work and using the Core system, I have come close. I was not very impressed with the returns the system provides.

https://www.portfolio123.com/app/ranking-system/409497

I personally would not use ratings from other sites which you can’t directly reproduce or use with extensive available historical values (5-10 years+) on this site for multiple reasons:

1. Often the way a factor is calculated is not transparent or it is qualitative/subjective (human assessment)

2. If historical performance is provided, those returns are often not reproducible due to a combination of cherry picking datasets, computational errors, hidden biases, etc.

3. Combining different factors changes performance. Good interplay between factors results is improvements, but often factors combined together can lead to worse performance. Every factor you consider in stock selection should be simulated if possible.

If I were you I would avoid doing secondary evaluations against offsite factors. It’s likely only going to hurt your performance. At least anecdotally people seem to have the best performance when they let their strategies work for the most part with minimal outside or human evaluation.

Jeff