Link with other brokers: Fidelity, TDAmeritrade, other

I vote for Fidelity.

Fidelity for me.

Maybe I need to switch to Fidelity. Why does everyone use them?

1. Fidelity
  2. TDAmeritrade (Becoming Schwab soon, I guess.)

Fidelity would be most appreciated

Charles Schwab

Alpaca.markets

I vote for Schwab

Charles Schwab

So, Fidelity was well know for order price improvement and possibly was the best at one point. At this time I am sure that Schwab does well and there was a recent study that suggested Shwab was doing even better that Fidelity.

Chipper posted a link to an article in the forum here is the article: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4189239

Here is Chipper’s post: Hidden cost of free trading? US$34B a year, study says

I do not know which is best at this point Really have no opinion.

Jim

I use Fidelity

Jim, the study that I posted a link to in the other thread is only applicable if you are placing tiny market orders.

1 Like

Fidelity does not have an official API. We’re in talks with SnapTrade which allows sending orders to several brokers via a single API. For Fidelity they reversed engineered their internal http API which means that their solution can ( and does) break. When it breaks they say that it gets fixed quickly. NOTE: not sure if they reversed engineered some of the more advanced orders like Fidelity’s vwap.

For brokers that have an official API (either FIX or REST) we can do it ourselves like we did IBKR and Tradier. Adding other brokers with official APIs should not be too hard, but it’s still work.

TD/Schwab is a bit of an unknown right now tda-api and the Schwab Transition — tda-api documentation

So, in short, seems like we at least need to try SnapTrade to speed up this project.

Fidelity does not seem too interested in creating an API (Fidelity has official responses on Reddit). If they were interested they would say “it’s in the roadmap” or something.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fidelityinvestments/comments/11fjw37/fidelity_continues_to_ignore_clients_who_want_an/

https://www.reddit.com/r/fidelityinvestments/comments/13sjx3s/fidelity_trading_api_for_individual/

Questrade please

I’ve given up on Schwab. Its hard to beat the P123/IB/VWAP combo when managing multiple family accounts that have to rebalanced every week.
I think P123 should focus on improving the existing IB/Tradier links before integrating any new ones. It baffles me that more people don’t use the semi-auto P123/IB integration to do their trades. Seems like there is only a handful of us that do this.

Do you have a friends and family account with ibkr that’s linked with portfolio123? If so, would love to hear more about how that works. I’d like to start managing my wife’s IRA through portfolio123 and was wondering the best way to handle that.

First of all let me say that I despise IB. They have the worst customer support known to man, and their trading platform is ridiculously bad. However, they do have trading algorithms (VWAP) and if you want that, they are the only game in town if using P123. When dealing with lots of low liquidity trades across multiple accounts (I think I have 7: iras, seps, kid accounts, etc) that need rebalanced at least once a week, VWAP will save you a lot of time.
Maybe I don’t get the best fills. I’m not really sure. But everything gets filled at a reasonable price.

I could not find any documentation on any of this on the P123 site and I asked multiple times if it existed. I even offered to write that documentation if someone would explain it all to me.

In a nutshell it works like this:

1. Setup an IB account
  2. Make a live sim you like that auto rebalances
  3. Create a new account in P123 and choose IB as the broker
  4. Print and submit the paperwork P123 gives you after step 3 for linking
  5. Assign your live sim(s) to the P123 account
  6. Every monday the P123 account presents the buys/sells it thinks you should do
  7. Click the trades you agree with and select the trading algo (I like VWAP)
  8. Press submit
  9. Go make coffee and read the news

If any orders are not fulfilled, which is rare if you start in the morning, those orders are presented to you for resubmission the next day with a click of a button. Easy Peazy Japanesy

There are probably a dozen other little nuanced steps that I have forgotten.
There are also few quirky things that, those of us that use it, have begged and pleaded for P123 to fix but they seem uninterested at the moment.

In general it works well. So well, I am amazed everyone does not use it.

In IB, you can supposedly make a family management account that hooks to all your other accounts for a one login management interface. But I hardly need to login to IB at all so I have not bothered with it. Schwab does this with a Power of Attourney doc and they put all your accounts together in one portfolio, which I love.

If someone had told me all this in August 2020, I would be significantly richer today.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I should have clarified: I have a couple IBKR accounts in my name that are linked to P123 and that have capital allocated to live books, strategies, and designer models already.

What I’m wondering is how I could manage this for an account in my spouse’s name at IBKR. I see two options.

1. File the p123 linkage form to link the spousal account to your p123 account.
  2. Create a master friends and family account structure, containing say your IRA and your spouse’s IRA, etc. Then file the p123 linkage form to link the master account to your p123 account. You could then, in theory, have a single strategy followed by the master account, with IBKR allocating trades proportionally to the sub-accounts.

Are both approaches feasible? Has anyone actually done either?

I do option #1 separately for myself, my wife, and my two adult kids.
It makes no difference who’s name the IB account is under.
I could link your account to my P123 sim if I had your IB account number and your drivers license.
The setup is the same.

I don’t know if option #2 would work. I suspect it will not.
That would be great topic for the “Brokerage Linking” documentation that might exist one day.
If you get #2 to work, let me know how well it works.

Tony