Microcap execution costs - what annual drag do you actually see?

For those running microcap strategies, I’m trying to understand what you see in real execution for total implementation cost and how you model it in P123/backtests.

For estimation sake assume roughly a $1M North American portfolio trading long and short microcaps, e.g., MedianDailyTot(126) > 50000, Price> 1, and MktCap > 10, with say 50-100 positions.

I’m interested in your estimated annual cost for each of these separately as %/yr:

  • Entry/exit price: Open vs Close vs HLC2/4 or another execution-price assumption. (I use HLC2/4 Monday)
  • Bid/ask spread (I use advanced 0.25)
  • Market impact (I use advanced 1.0)
  • Carry: short borrow fees and/or financing costs (I use 3%)
  • Commissions/other transaction costs (I use 0)

For example, if my theoretical long/short HLC2/4 strategy returns a CAGR of 50-75% before execution costs but Trades on average every two weeks and rebalances weekly, my CAGR drops to about 5% after I account for execution costs; how many percentage points per year do you realistically see for slippage and impact in live trading, and does that drive a holding period of at least 3- 6 months to deal with the slippage and impact in microcaps without destroying CAGR?

I’m especially interested in actual experience trading microcaps, rather than generic cost estimates, as I am modeling using HLC2/4 & advanced Slippage of K=1 and I=0.25, and I have NO idea if that is reasonable for the universe I listed above.

If you were modeling a $1M long/short microcap portfolio today, what total annual execution drag would you assume for Slippage and Impact, and how does that affect your execution and trading strategies?

For modeling in a Portfolio123 backtest, I would suggest using advanced slippage with the following parameters:
Spread (L) = 0.2
Impact (K) = 0.35
Impact Basis = Starting Capital
Starting capital = $1M if that's what you're using.

Also, add this to your universe rules: SlippageAdv(1000000) < 100.

These numbers are based on my actual slippage costs, which I've assiduously measured over the years.

If you're not using VWAP orders, raise L to 0.25 and K to 0.45.

Do you use the Average of High, Low and 2X Close or the Open in your sims with these L and K?

Thanks!

Average. I never use Open.

I am a little uncertain, and I may have misunderstood something here, but why do you believe there is a greater impact (K) when using VWAP orders? Isn't the purpose of this type of order to result in a totally smaller market impact?

K = 0.35 if you use VWAP and K = 0.45 if you don't.