New search available

We’ve released an entirely new way to find stocks by searching for keywords in the Business Description.

The idea came from watching Cramer talk about stocks that produce mining equipment. This was in anticipation of the new safety regulations after the mining accident. I realized that there was no easy way to do such a search, and that I could not think of any place where I could easily find these stocks.

You can now do this under Stock->Stock Search. Simply enter ‘mining equipment’ in the first field. It will return all stocks that have both keywords in their business summary. It is not a fail-proof search by any means. Don’t expect to find all the products made by a company in the business summary. It does seem to work fairly well though. The search is also limited to the current business summary. You cannot, for example, search for companies that offered mining equipment 2 years ago and are no longer offering them.

Maybe this is much to do about nothing. It’s yet another way to sift through the data in a new way (that I know of).

2 Likes

Other examples include:

flash memory
digital player

Marco, I like that!

Out of the many, many stock screening (searching, browsing) tools online I have not been able to find one that can search on company profile or business description. I consider that very useful. I have written with recommendations for functionality to Yahoo! Finance, Morningstar, Reuters, Google Finance but no one seems to care.
(if somebody has found a site that does that - please, let me know)

Actually the closest thing I have been able to find is the Morningstar’s search for news. On their site, almost form every page in the top left, under the logo, the second text box, where it says Search: Enter topic. Let’s say you look for companies in the solar energy industry. “solar” will return news and PR statements about companies involved in that. It works quite well. One thing that by some can be considered a problem, by some an advantage (depends on the investment strategy) - it does return more results about companies that are dicsussed and followed more actively.

But, yeah, this feature here in P123 is just too cool!

Vlad

I just tried it.

It is way cool!

I would like it better if one can specify that the keywords have to be found as whole words not as part (beginning) of other words.

For example ‘wind’ returned many results where the text was refering to windows not wind.

Vlad

Related to searching keywords in the Business Description: could this be implemented in the API such to search for companies?