News feed on the Timeline tab

Some questions about the news feed that appears on a stock’s Timeline tab.
I am trying to determine if I need to renew my benzinga service or if the news provided by P123 is sufficient.

1. What is the source of the news? I think it may be Benzinga.

2. How often is it updated?

3. If Benzinga, which sub sources does it use? Benzinga has a bunch of different sources it draws from and allows you to select those sources.

4. One of the things that is nice about benzinga Pro is it will push news alerts to you very quickly, such as if one of your companies is getting sued, or the CEO was just indicted for fraud, or the company was just awarded a giant contract. Things that move the price. It would be interesting if P123 could push the news too, assuming it gets updated quickly enough.

Thanks
Tony

1 Like

It’s Yahoo Finance RSS feed.

We only get the earnings calendar from Benzinga. We have not looked at news sources from them or anyone else lately. We kind of de-prioritized doing things with news. Even the earnings calendar has not evolved (like in the backtest for example) beyond what it is now: a simple way to lookup the next earnings for your holdings

News parsing, earnings releases, etc, all are short term signals for day traders/options traders. If the “CEO was indicted for fraud” you better believe the real time price will show you something quicker that you’ll be able to take advantage of. Sure, maybe you recall a certain instance where acting on the news immediately would have been a winner , but would you have realized the gains? Many times it will whipsaw you the next day.

If it sounds like I’ve thrown in the towel in this area you’d be right. Got burned too many times and it’s very stressful. And it’s not what P123 is about. I only use the real time price, and past 3 to 6 months price chart to accept/reject a recommendation. I try to stick with the system and keep it simple. I also keep comparing my semi-discretionary decisions with the fully automated strategy and I seem to have a slight edge. But could very well be an illusion.

P123 wants to be a fully automated portfolio management system; but right now it’s missing a few safety checks. Once we have them I will turn the switch on my accounts and forget about the noise.

PS. that’s my own personal opinion. If users want real time news, AI parsed news, or whatever, then we will do it. I will move this thread to the Feature Requests category where users can vote. If it gets a decent amount of votes then it will be moved to the Roadmap.

Thanks for your feedback.

AI parsed news. I’m not sure what that would look like but it sounds fascinating.
I suspect in the coming years that will be super fascinating.
Is someone already doing that?

So, has anyone tried sending the transcript of a corporate report through ChatGPT 4.0?

I only ask because I bought a new computer recently and loaded Anaconda with Apple Silone. To make a long story short NONE OF THE PROGRAMS I USE FOR INVESTING WORKED!!! Zero, nada zilch. Aggravated by some change or alleged upgrade in Jupyter Notebooks. For a while I could use the terminal but trying to use Jupyter notebooks crashed everything.

So, this has something to do with corporate reports because I found I could load a 2-page error report into ChagGPT and it would have the answer before I could blink. Tell me what to update or load.

Web scraping etc is hard for me. But copying and pasting a corporate report is probably something we could all do and I am pretty sure ChatGPT would catch some things I missed in the report—before the opening of the market.

ChatGPT seem fairly well informed about finance. It volunteers fairly advanced concepts when I discuss strategies although I tend toward the AI/Machine learning aspects.

For sure with AI, which is more my strength, bootstrapping, empirical Bayes problems with normality, non-parametric solutions and Python code are trivial : With frequent errors in the code to be sure! But it will volunteer ideas in finance which I am less qualified to judge but seem pretty good.

It could probably distill some of the factors being used in a ranking system before they are uploaded into P123’s data base. E.G., how is free cash flow expected to do relative to what P123 is showing now (if you ask it that specific question). Maybe a red flag for overriding a P123 recommendation in this case.

Jim