Problem with simulation initial holdings?

I made a sim to check the results of the Dogs of the Dow strategy and I’ve run into a problem.

The rank system has one factor - Yield. With the DJIA universe, the top ten stocks on 1/1/22 were {DOW, VZ, IBM, CVX, WBA, MRK, AMGN, MMM, KO, INTC}. This is in agreement with several online sources.

However, the simulation starts with stocks;
{DOW, VZ, CVX, WBA, MRK, AMGN, MMM, KO, INTC, JPM}

Somehow IBM was overlooked and JPM used instead.

Why did this happen?

https://www.portfolio123.com/port_summary.jsp?portid=1703088

This is quite odd. We’re looking into it and will get back to you soon.

It turns out that IBM’s October 2021 spinoff marked it as falling under the “allow mergers” rule, so IBM was excluded from simulations which had that box checked “no” for six months, including on January 1, 2022.

Obviously, this is not what the “allow mergers” rule is supposed to do, so we’ll be rolling out a fix for this sometime soon.

Ok, thanks! I just reran w/ mergers allowed and IBM is now a holding.

For debugging, it would be nice to have a log of how new selections were made. Something like a run down through all the stocks considered with their rank and what buy rules it failed. Well, something along those lines.

Please post when the fix has been deployed.

You can get around this by allowing mergers and adding this rule to the buy rules or universe

PastCorpAct(#MANDAEXSPIN) = FALSE

And this to the sell rule

PastCorpAct(#MANDAEXSPIN) = TRUE

This will prevent buying and force sells for stocks with M&A active in the past 6 months

So is this issue closed or will the behavior of ‘Allow Mergers’ set to No be changed to ignore spinoffs?

I’m trying to figure out if I need to change my models to account for the current behavior.

The workaround is all that’s available for now. I can only say we plan on working on this eventually. The enhancement will also add support for European companies.