S&P500 resistance

Gents,

thanks for your feedback.

Both technical and fundamental approaches are valid. Georg’s SPY-IEF market timer seems to have the risk profile in line with current circumstances.

I take a similar standpoint as Andreas: I don’t try to time the market. Therefore I put great emphasis as a designer to develop models that are fit across a variety of market conditions.

Happy trading!

Great post Andreas. The average retail investor seriously underperforms for the exact reason you outline.

If I could go back in time and give one piece of advice to my former, naive self when he first joined P123, I would tell him to absolutely relegate all model trading to tax advantage accounts, especially to start off. Not just because of the simple math (turns out slippage + bid ask deltas + transaction costs + tax man’s cut at regular rates = A very formidable accumulative hurdle for even good models to overcome out of sample), but I’m still (relatively) young(ish), and I can’t touch this money for quite a while anyway without penalty. I’m able to ride out drawdowns much easier. It’s allowed me to just sit back, let my model do the work for me and not allow myself to get caught up in small market timing devices that whipsaw me out of rebounds. As long as my model has built up enough active return in the good days to provide cushion on the bad days to ultimately beat my benchmark in the long run, I’m happy. This gets easier as time goes by.

I recently read a speech by Charlie Munger where this really hit home.

Just bumping this to the top.
Interesting read for “predicting” the stock market about a year and a half ago.
And what do we learn from this?

That the IWM had a 37%DD and that I had a very hard 2015, and so far a great 2016;-)
Who would have thought that small caps are back in such a strong way. Unbelivable, but
very enjoyable :slight_smile:

Regards

Andreas

I completely agree, Andreas! In particular regarding the attached, which I bought back in June for 7.6$ a share. I’m so glad that I did hold on to it :slight_smile:

HI IQ. Named after some of P123’s SA designers: you know who you are.

And what do we learn from this?

For me, that “perceived” government future policies can affect the stock market “sentiment” (ie, forecasts), in the short term, in a dramatic fashion. It shows the effect of government (fiscal and monetary) policies on the private sector. I think it is a much larger effect now than say 50, or even 20, years ago.

The interesting thing to me is that my models (which have all done well since the election) don’t use any sentiment factors/formula (except short interest). And no technicals. Just financial statement basics and valuations. None have bond hedges.

I think this optimism has created a sector rotation like effect and maybe even changed where we are in the business cycle. Don’t know. Facebook, Amazon, Alphabet, etc were all down today. Big Tech seems to have lost leadership.

It would be interesting to review in a year’ s time after things have actually happened. Could be better or worse.

As I posted around a year ago when small caps where in the abys. The size effect usally works (e.g. small caps outperform big caps) over the
long run an it is one of the strongest effects that can be used to generate alpha.
Combine this with low liquidity, value, a bit of momentum and some tweaks on the earnings side in the buy and sell filter and
with a relative small account and you have huge weapon (Thank you P123!!!). Easy to write but hard to do (same as
you loos weight if you work out and eat healthy, very easy to say, hard to implement).

Then the following is needed: “We do not have to be smarter then others. We do need to be more diciplined”. (Waren Buffet).

Discipline was the key to get through the big DD on the russel and to wait until small caps are in favour again.

Regards

Andreas

…and discipline is needed not to get overexited, things could change fast, so follow your system :slight_smile: