Terms of Use

Marco, do you think we could finish with the ‘Terms of Use’ popup screen which comes up after login. I have seen it a gazillion times as have all other subscribers and it is just an irritant that doesn’t really have any particular use as far as I can see. The wording can just as easily be a footer on your home page?

I agree; i’m really tired of it. It seems to me that the agreement is implicit when we signed up. I’m to lazy to actually look it up.

Kit

Instead of using the mouse, just press “Enter” twice after typing the password. It’s much faster. I’ll see if there’s a quick fix.

And while you’re at it, PLEASE address the timeout problem. Is there any reason why P123 would kick users off during the day? Logins should be valid at least until midnight.

I’ve been logged out in as little as 15 minutes.

Kit

I am also annoyed by the rapid kick out of P123.
I work simultaneously onP123 and several other programs, all the while taking notes and other things. Therefore, I am forced to re-log repeatedly. I see no much reason for this.
Martin

It’s strange… I work on a mac and use safari browser and I don’t kicked out half as much as you all do.

A quick fix is to refrash your browser when you see the error/upgrade message.

I’m not sure if by timeout you guys are referring to a session timeout or the problems with “Remember me”. My beef is with the latter.

The “Remember me” portion of authentication behaves really strangely. Sometimes I’ll be “remembered” for a day, while at other times it can be as short as a half hour. Other strange behavior I’ve noticed is that if I sign in with “remember me” on my laptop at home then take my laptop to the office I’ll have to sign in again.

I guess I’m used to sites like Yahoo, Google, and really most every other site that keeps me authenticated until I sign out. Please change the behavior to match a typical website.

• Erik

John-Paul:

Are you able to get “Remember Me” to work upon initial login? I’m also on Safari (Mac) and remember me never works. I allow cookies but it makes no difference.

Kit

This is what I normally do, which helps to ease the pain.

Even pressing ‘enter’ is way too much - and that’s what I usually do. The terms and conditions popup is a minimal piece of wording and can be quite easily placed at the bottom of the page without having to popup. I will go so far as to say that this kind of popup is " so 1990s" :smiley:

To resolve this issue we’ll create a test page that you can access when this timeout occurs and it will provide information on why this happened. You can then send us this for analysis. In the meantime here more info on the automatic login:

There are two aspects of the automatic login feature:

• Session timeout : this is the web server setting. We’ve set this to one hour. The problem with making this timeout longer is that resources (database connections, memory) will be tied up for many inactive users which will lead to other more serious problems. I think what most people find annoying is having to login again, which is handled via cookies, and described below

• Automatic login via cookies: When you login in we set some cookies in your browser cache. If you click ‘Remember me’ the cookie lasts 3 days, if you don’t 3 hours (I’ll bump this up to 8 hours or so). If you open a new browser and go to P123 or you refresh the page after a session timeout an automatic login is tried. This can fail due to several reasons:

• If you click ‘Logout’ the cookies are cleared and you’ll have to login again to re-generate the cookies

• Your privacy settings are too high. Go to Tools->Internet Options, then click on Privacy, then Edit. Add the exact address you use to access portfolio123 (yes there are a few variations). I believe this is where most of the problems lie. To be safe try typing the address of P123 several ways:

http://www.portfolio123.com
http://portfolio123.com
https://www.portfolio123.com

This is a very old post, but I’m wondering what the timout from P123 is?

Sometimes it seems that if I’m more than 20 minutes away from the pc, I’m logged out of the page.

Is there any way of fixing this so I can stay logged in for as long as possible?