Top 20 stock picks contest for 2018

Thanks - should be public now?

Almost there! If you make the Universe public, too, the search function will also find your model.

Here are my top-20 for 2018.
https://www.portfolio123.com/holdings.jsp?portid=1516344

Here, i have 1 more list for the contest 2018,
https://www.portfolio123.com/port_wiz.jsp?st=8

this system is rebalanced every 52 weeks; last rebalance is today;

this system designed to match with inovestor ETF models few months ago. It is 100% automated using p123.

all of my designer model uses this ranking system, except rev2 model.

sorry for the late entry; the system will discard today gain; it is ok; we are looking for 1 year performance. 1 day performance can be discounted.

This system held 25 stocks to compete 1 to 1 with 2018 Buy list of Eddy Elfenbein 25 stocks.

Let us see whether automated p123 system or long term stock picking expert over 10 year experience (Eddy Elfenbein) will perform good in 2018.

Thanks
Kumar

wwasilev, I’ve made the universe public as well.

Now can someone go through all these portfolios rank each stock with respect to how many contest portfolios it is in? :slight_smile:

That would be the hive mind portfolio…

Someone could make local copies of each port and then use the ‘Aggregate’ feature to count the common holdings. I would do that, but I’ve run out of live ports.

Walter

Out of curiosity, I made a spreadsheet by downloading and sorting by ticker the 12 individual 20 stock ports, to see if many stocks were held in common. I expected more commonality than existed! I did not include the Barron’s list or Kumar’s automated 25.

Out of 240 stock positions, only 18 stocks appeared in more than one port, and each of those 18 only appeared in two ports. They were:
ALK, AMAT, AMG, BSET, CSCO, FCAU, GILD, HPQ, INTC, LB, LEA, NLY, ORCL, OTEL, PDEX, RCMT, TSN, and UTHR. These were not concentrated in a couple of ports but seemed to be scattered.

That means there were 204 stocks out of 240 that only appeared once. I won’t bother to list them here unless someone wants them.

regallow/accomplished veteran investors,

Good analysis,

1. please, help to classify these stocks each list with smallcap, midcap, largecap (3 lists based on marketcap and avg trading volume)
  2. please, also help to classify these stocks as 2 lists value stocks and growth stocks.

Curious to know, which list will out perform in 2018 apart from individual 20 stock picks.

Thanks
Kumar

Bob - Thanks for pulling the analysis - very interesting! Can you share the 240 tickers. I am planning to use the list with my best ranking system to keep top 20 with weekly rebalance to see if that will beat the winner.

Thanks for the analysis regallow.

Appearing twice may not really be a strong indicator though. On the other hand, considering the number of stocks available, maybe it’s a stronger indicator than I think.

I currently hold in my real portfolio: FCAU, GILD, LEA, OTEL, PDEX - so I hope that’s encouraging…

Here you go! The attached .xls has the ticker list. Since 18 of the tickers are in two (varying) ports, there are 222 unique tickers. Column A has “2” for the 18 duplicated.

PortHoldings_P123StockPickingContest2018.xls (15 KB)

fatmcb1 has taken an early lead (these are annualized returns and a bit nonsensical since it’s so early) with the EXPI pick that has exploded with a +%100 return…

But it seems that a lot of the entries are beating the market. So good job all…

I’ve got about half of these picks in my trading account. Unfortunately EXPI is not one of them. Womp Womp :slight_smile:

I’m feeling kinda lucky.

Screenshot-2018-2-8 PORTFOLIO - Live(1).png

Time for the end-of-the-sixth-month update:

sglinsky 6.97%
burd4 -1.72%
kumar 1.69%
kumar 25 stocks -2.29%
AnlamK -6.10%
AZInvestor 1.80%
Barron’s -1.03%
fatmcb1 -0.55%
Miro -9.09%
mm123 -0.48%
mmasand 5.24%
regallow -0.20%
wwasilev -2.81%
yuvaltaylor 18.93%
Eddy Elfenbein 1.64%

Getting close to the finish line…

azinvestor is winner both in return and minimum drawdown in this 2018 stock pick competition.
azinvestor is not only just win the competition; he showed with large cap and mid cap stocks with more liquidity can do better than micro cap and small cap stocks.
mmsand is runner-up, mmsand picks also in largecap and mid cap universe.
yuvaltaylor is in 3rd place.
wwasilev is 4th place, honorable to mention large cap and mid cap stocks with more liquidity to every competition followers to invest.

Every beginning investor can be benefited from azinvestor and wwasilev stock picks as their pick are house hold names in complex stock market investing.

Congratulations to azinvestor! and all the 2018 competition participants.

motivational quotes from Woody Allen to inspire more participant to participate in 2019 20 stock pick competition.
==================WOODY ALLEN ============================================
I made the statement years ago which is often quoted that 80 percent of life is showing up. People used to always say to me that they wanted to write a play, they wanted to write a movie, they wanted to write a novel, and the couple of people that did it were 80 percent of the way to having something happen. All the other people struck out without ever getting that pack. They couldn’t do it, that’s why they don’t accomplish a thing, they don’t do the thing, so once you do it, if you actually write your film script, or write your novel, you are more than half way towards something good happening. So that I was say [sic] my biggest life lesson that has worked. All others have failed me.

Thanks
Kumar :sunglasses:

One more day left :slight_smile: Go Small Caps!

The top performance still in negative is not a surprise, all the major indexes and top mutual fund are in negative for the year.

Thanks
Kumar

What IS a surprise (to me, at least) is that only 3 out of 15 contestants beat SPY. I would have thought that at least 8 of us would do so. At any rate, I’m glad my own personal trades outperformed all of these: I made 14.41% in 2018. That’s a pretty miserable showing after 2016 and 2017, but a far sight better than SPY.

We’ll get the end-of-year totals in a few hours and see if the rankings have changed . . .