Why are there so few subscribers to designer models is the question?

Which is what ? The proposed “Models” but independent of the site? Hosted where, by us ? Reachable how? And it would not solve the ‘reputation’ factor without which nobody would invest in your model.

In any event, once we have embeddable code-snippets you can create your own hosted pages.

I have liked every one of Walter’s ideas. He has had a few.

This post was reacting to your belief the link would attract people who have a good amount of money to invest. If I did not know you, EbenezerScrooge’s hearts would not seem professional to me.

Serious opinion for what it is worth.

Fresh to that page for the first time I would just go back to Fidelity or Charles Scwab, FWIW. Not that I think Charles Schwab is that great (which makes my point).

I know you have some good ideas and are working on it but I would go for a hyper-professional appearance. We do not need a lot of hearts, thumbs up etc from me or anyone else in the forum, I think.

Jim

I’m liking the Models section idea. But then dump the Summary and Activity sections for non-members. I have little interest in showing potential subscribers how the sausage is made. A page with a designer’s profile + model link sounds good.

I’d rather save my writings for full, well planned blog posts. My posts here are for a distinctly different audience.

Thanks for spending time on this, Marco.

P.S. One of my concerns about intermediation (i.e. going through p123) is that it dilutes the designer’s brand.

I think I understand. Something like Shopify but for Model Designers where a designer can create his or her own ‘model store’. It would look like a stripped down version of portfolio123 with just a designer’s models, an Invest button that takes investor straight to linking with their broker, one month free include (no cc needed), some stock pages, a dashboard to track their accounts, a phone app, and other misc stuff. And the designer’s URL would be something like walterw.portfolio123.com. Of course a designer could pay more for their own personalized URL.

And there would be a ‘P123’ link for people that want to do their own research and we’d pay the designer a commission if their lead becomes a P123 subscriber.

It all makes a lot of sense. But…

1. We need to support discretionary models first and foremost. That’s coming regardless. Limiting ourselves to only designers with fully automated strategy is too restrictive.

2. Add more brokers. And not all will allow us to execute order w/o the user logging in (hence the need for a mobile app for a single click ‘approve’).

3. We have too many other things cooking, and not enough people. Perhaps we’re getting close to justifying a private fund raise. We cannot do anything else but a private fund raise at the moment since growth has stalled for past few years. With something like https://wefunder.com we should be able to raise $500K (the minimum needed if we also want a phone app) and have it all done by in 6 months.

W/o funding is not clear when we would do this. PM me if you want to be involved.

PS fear not; things are improving, just not enough to meet with VCs.

I’ve never used Shopify, but I do like the idea of a designer driven model store. Ideally, p123 would evolve into an ecosystem of (external) bloggers and model store with the current p123 offering at the core. That would support varying degrees of subscriber engagement. A person could progress from just reading blog posts to subscribing to a model to subscribing the core portfolio system. That’s a gentle sales funnel.

Maybe it’s time to hire back that guy that left for Shopify? :slight_smile:

I understand and support your priorities.

He left by his own accord. He felt the approach he took just didn’t connect and got discouraged. The reality is that it’s very hard to get the average investor to buy p123 (not cheap) and stick with it in it’s current incarnation (not easy).

Unfortunately, few want to admit that investing is hard.

Somehow Facebook knows that I’m an investor and I get inundated w/ never-for-profit websites and apps. All junk. But cheap junk.

So yes, p123 is expensive. But, in the long run, it’s more expensive to waste time, money and suffer capital losses on sites that offer no value.

P123 is unique in that it doesn’t hide the realities of investing.

Yep, it’s in our logo: it’s a roller coaster.

An antigravity roller coaster, but still a wild ride.

I have some suggestions to make the DM site more informative, and that will give the buyer a better understanding of the model he is supposed to follow:

There needs to be information on whether the model uses dynamic or Static Weight

It should be possible to see the model on the longest timeframe possible, even if the creator has only published it for the last 10 years.

**After seeing this discussion at Fewer parameters make better models. - #40 by yuvaltaylor, it would be great to have information on the number of nodes used in the model. I see that there are some of the DM models that are already giving out this information

And one more: there should be a way to see the universe. Like it is now, you can’t see if the universe buys US or Canadian stocks, or if the EU models only buy stocks in the Italian market.