Contrarian Investing -- What Do You Think?

Presumably, this refers to Topic 8 of the Strategy Design seminar involving timing and hedging. I’m not good at integrating images with forum text, so instead of reproducing it here, I provide a link to the pdf.

And actually, it wasn’t condemnation. It was an effort to lay out the various probabilities. Feel free to address them, if you wish.

Sorry I missed it, but here goes:

Yes, TLT is a contrarian position. But that doesn’t mean it’s a good contrarian idea or a bad one. Further analysis is required for that.

Yeah Jack, you got me. Ooops, you’re not Jack. You’re Steve. Sorry about that. For a moment, I thought I was replying to the husband of my wife’s friend, the guy who sneered and wagged his finger at me because real estate continued to rise even after I argued it was a bubble and urged him not to go into that partnership for a development project in Flushing Queens. (A year later, at the end of 2008, he had lost $1 million on it.)

D’ya think!

WHOA THERE Jack . . . sorry, Steve. Actually, Jack had a better chance of being right than you do.

Yes, there is a floor and it’s a HUGE problem for the bond market. It’s called zero.

And yes, I’m aware that there is some negative-interest-rate rhetoric being bandied about. So let’s really dig into this.

Actually, I first encountered it about 10 years ago when a Federal Reserve researcher responding to an article I wrote when I was at Reuters corresponded with me and shared a white paper that resulted from a study of the topic commissioned by the Fed. As would be expected of any serious thought on the topic, it had to cover implementation. That paper postulated an “excess liquidity tax.”

Seems like a feasible answer. How else might one put through negative interest rates? Are savers/investors to purchase zero yielding Treasuries and send a fee to the Fed that allows them to hold them? How might this work in the secondary market? The Fed is still paying interest on the original face. So is there a formula that would impose a higher holding fee to more than offset the cash payments the fed makes? What are the tax rules? The current forms can’t comprehend interest as a negative; the tax software will crash the way everybody expected the rest of the world to crash at Y2K. Will we need new regs to allow the holding fee to be booked as a transaction cost? Will a new line item need to be created? What happens to corporate debt? If treasuries go low enough to give Jack/Steve the kinds of returns realized historically on TLT, as shown in sims, it’s unrealistic to think the spread will widen so far as to keep corporate rates in the black. Market forces will drive them down as people switch out of treasuries. If the corporate rate goes negative, that means banks and bondholders pay corporations a semi-annual fee for the privilege of holding zero interest-rate IRAs. This would wipe out the equity market, during all stocks to zero. Is there any corporation that won’t look to retire 100% of its equity in order to finance entirely with debt? If rates go negative enough, the holding fees can more than offset the risk of principal default, meaning even the least credit-worthy borrowers get all the capital they want.

The white paper didn’t go that far into details and the Fed tossed it onto the good-for-shits-and-giggles pile because they figured it was a political non-starter due to the clear-cut career suicide it would mean for anybody who supported it. Although the paper pre-dated the modern era, fast forwarding to today, this is one issue on which I can easily see Ted Cruz and Elizabeth Warren as enthusiastic allies. Lizze: how dare anybody try to rip-off the people by making them subsidize banks and the Fed in order to maintain their life savings? Teddy: We already have way too much in the way of taxes and complex regulations, no way we do this.

So, Jack/Steve, that’s my vision of negative interest rates. It makes for cute contrarian rhetoric. But in my opinion, this is probably the silliest view since the shmuck who paid the peak price for tulip bulbs and whose heirs are still waiting for prices to recover.

Finally, a worthy discussion .

I would agree that there is a ceiling on interest rates but would argue that we don’t really know where the ceiling is.

Current conventional economic wisdom is that as we raise rates, we depress investment. That’s pretty much what I learned in school back in the ‘70s and what I saw in the real world for a while. But what I also learned from observation is that this is not a linear function. The elasticity of the demand for capital viz. price is generally elastic but not universally so. At a certain point, the elasticity vanishes and we’ve been at that point for a long time.

I constantly dig into individual companies, both for my writings and because it’s something I do. Frankly, I have not heard one CFO cite cost of capital as a reason for not investing in more than 20 years. What I have heard, and still hear, is discouragement over revenue prospects. That’s what inhibits investment nowadays. This is why recent Fed efforts to prime the economy by pushing rates down have failed. Businesses don’t care. They want customers with money in their pockets and have long ago stopped caring about cost of capital. Those who feel they can sell continue to invest aggressively. Those that don’t have been and still are scaling back and shutting down. At some point, if/when rates rise, this will change. But given all the rhetoric and action around the obviously-wrong belief that recent efforts to slash rates would pump the economy, I suspect that economists today are flustered and scrambling, and have absolutely no idea where that ceiling really is.

At the time I was in school, the monetarists were making hay with their MV=PT model, which influenced the Regan administration in its early years but fell by the wayside as it got more entrenched, more pragmatic and less purely ideological, as so many wind up doing.

M = money supply
V = velocity of money; i.e. the pace at which money circulates
P = prices (think CPI etc.)
T = transactions; think GDP; etc.

We can measure M, P and T. The Fed can control M.

V is tricky. Early on, it was thought to be pretty-much constant. Thus you control the nominal economy by moving the money supply up and down, and watch as you go along so that P doesn’t crazily outrun T.

As it turned out, V is not constant at all. It’s been plummeting for decades and accelerating its decline recently. That’s why nothing the Fed has been doing has influenced the economy. They pump M, but V falls.

V is not controlled by any government body. It’s something that occurs naturally based on the emotions and beliefs and opinions of economic actors, mainly consumers and businesses. My belief is that decades of cost cutting, layoffs, outsourcing, etc. have walloped consumer sentiment and played a big role in driving V lower (this is part of the phenomenon that’s propelling Trump).

My opinion, I can’t prove this, it’s just a hunch, is that an increase in inflation to a non-excessive degree, say 4%-5%, would do wonders to arrest the declines in V and possibly even improve it. Objectively, consumers earn more and pay more, but I don’t see that as a problem as long as it’s more or less in balance. If consumers feel better at having more, they feel empowered over what they can control, how much and how often to buy higher priced goods and services. Emotion is important. Inflation is demoralizing only when it runs away and for that, we may have to wait a decade or more, or take a trip overseas, to Venezuela perhaps.

So again, I agree that there is a ceiling on interest rates. But in terms of how much concern we should have about it, I see us as being analogous to vertigo sufferer who is told: “Stop worrying so much about what it feels like to be on the roof deck of this high rise: You’re still holed up in the fu**ing basement!”

So if I figure out how to make a video for YouTube and post it and don’t come off as too much a dork, do promise to link to it? :slight_smile:

Don’t have a firm opinion yet on contrarianism re: healthcare.

Topic 8.pdf (900 KB)

Going back to the subject under discussion (somehow I missed the initial posts), contrarian investing means investing contrary to prevailing sentiment. In other words, investing in stocks that few people are investing in while avoiding stocks that lots of people are investing in. Ditto with factors.

This is the cornerstone of my real-money strategy, and I’m up 24.5% YTD holding 15 to 20 stocks at a time (that’ll mean a CAGR of over 50% if 2016 continues along this route). My most heavily used factor is simply avgdailytot(90) with lower numbers being better (with some liquidity rules, of course). I also like investing in stocks with low turnover, i.e. vol/float.

The other key to being a contrarian quant investor is avoiding the most common strategies. I deliberately don’t use the TTM P/E ratio; ditto with EBITDA/EV. I deliberately pay no attention to ROE but use Greenblatt’s retun on capital instead. The accrual ratio I use rewards companies whose earnings are substantially below their operating cash flow–that’s a pretty contrarian position. I favor companies with a middling year-on-year sales growth–again contrarian. I look for stable operating margins, while most people like to see those grow. And price movements–past prices in general–play absolutely no part in my investment choices. That’s probably my most contrarian move.

Even when I apply these strategies to a smaller universe of more liquid stocks, they still work fine. I think contrarian investing still has a healthy future. There are always going to be market inefficiencies, and the whole job of a skilled investor is to exploit them.

Well Jill - Oh sorry, I just confused you for that skirt-wearing systems analyst from a year ago. I believe she warned against TLT.

For the last year the average Smart Alpha model is down 3.04% (not including non-performers that were killed by their developers). In the same period, TLT was up 27%.

Chipper quite eloquently laid out the arguments as to why TLT makes for a good hedge some time ago. If I had the time I’d dig out that post. In any case you must be quite steamed that TLT hedgers and market timing is starting to take over the Smart Alpha leader board :slight_smile:

Marc - you are inventing terms, I have never heard of “bad contrarian” and “good contrarian”. There are mainstream positions and there are mainstream-contrarian positions. As for Jack, TLT is not an illiquid investment like real estate. You can sell TLT any time if the position starts to move against you. If you are right with a contrarian position then profits are massive because you are generally trading against the herd. If you lose, then generally losses are not as bad. This is the point of being a contrarian, not following the herd.

The point of low interest rates is to get consumers to spend. Instead consumers have started to save out of fear of the future. So like it or not, the answer is to force spending by negative interest rates. Impossible? Well we both know that 40% of the developed world has negative interest rates at present. Your girl, Janet, wouldn’t have determined if negative rates were legal if it weren’t a possibility in the USA.

Banks will survive. Tax reform is not a significant roadblock when it comes to taking money from the masses. The masses will be unhappy but who cares.

Lets put it this way, the federal reserve is between a rock and a hard place. They are shooting blanks and have been for some time. We can’t put all the blame on the fed reserve because they aren’t responsible for the huge deficits the government is racking up. But either way, higher interest rates, or lower rates, the Federal Reserve tenure is likely over. (I know you think this is another silly statement). When the Fed Reserve tries to raise rates by any significant amount, the government light bulb will turn on (well I know that sounds funny) but Mr Trump will eventually figure out that there are better ways to employ hundreds of billions of dollars than servicing debt. And if the Fed Reserve is completely ineffective, then why employ them? They are costing the country a pretty penny.

So there you go, you think my position is “silly”, but that makes for all the more profit if the trade goes well.

Steve

Steve,

I wasn’t sure what I would write on Forbes when I woke up this morning, but you’ve inspired me! :slight_smile:

Corporate bond funds still seem to be popular. This one just had the industry’s largest inflow. From today’s Bloomberg:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-11/we-just-saw-the-largest-ever-daily-inflow-to-a-corporate-bond-etf

Well I’m long TLT and EDV and have been for awhile. The 35 year downward inflation trend is still firmly in place. Smart guys like Gary Shilling have positioned their clients at the long end of the treasury curve since the 1980s and beat the S&P 500 by 5.5 times on a total return basis. Will the next 35 years look the same? No, I think not. But for the next year or two I’m comfortable with TLT. If anyone know G.S. current position, please let us know. I no longer subscribe to his newsletter.

So the current concern is disinflation or outright deflation in Japan, Europe and the US. It’s becoming obvious that monetary policy can only do so much and without some fiscal stimulus, we’re going nowhere soon. And I don’t see a lot of fiscal stimulus happening given the worries about excessive sovereign debt.

What happens to interest rates if inflation goes negative?

What happens to the ability to service debt when future money has more value?

What happens when the velocity of money falls below one?

I don’t know but I think we’ll find out within the next 10 years.

Walter

I am not about to rehash my position (selectively) in favor of TLT. But there is one point that TLT bears keep missing: You can make money on TLT even during rising rates (depending on how fast they rise). That’s because you collect the interest while waiting.

Disclosure: I switched out of medium-duration bonds and into short-duration bonds after the Brexit vote; because interest rates were close to all-time lows. I expect to switch back when interest rates settle a little higher.

This is completely off-topic but I like to try solving the world’s problems on occasion. If the Fed Reserve were to raise interest rates (by manipulating fed fnd rates) to “normal” then this would mean additional debt servicing by $600 Billion, assuming “normal” is an increase of 3% interest rate. I’m not sure what “normal” really is.

So instead of spending an additional $600 Billion per year, risking deflation, blind mindless indiscriminate job losses, possibly driving us into a depression like occurred in the mid-late 1930’s, the next president or congress could actually consider some options, such as…

Paying 12 Million oldsters currently working $50K per year not to work. The precedent was already set when the government paid farmers not to farm. 12 million people is a staggering number. What does this achieve? It relieves some anxiety about the future of the elderly who think they can’t retire. It will put $12 Million youngsters to work, it will create labor demand, and it will generate consumer spending and inflation that has been missing up till now. It will reward the working class and wannabe working class as opposed to the elite.

An alternative to the above would be to use the $600 Billion to introduce an unequal bank savings rate. Say the first $500K of savings earns 6%, next $500K earns 4%, $10M in savings earns 0.1%, etc. This would encourage people without wealth to save without having their savings decimated by fed reserve policy. And it would encourage people with wealth to spend or invest their excesses.

Now obviously these ideas are very radical, but I do believe that the current massive debt is rendering the Fed Reserve useless. And interest rate manipulation that the fed does is not effective in a generational industrial revolution. They demonstrated that back in the 1930s (assembly line putting people out of work).

There - I’ve solved the world’s problems. Now its time to knock back another cold one :slight_smile:
Steve

Sorry Yuval (I peed on your fire hydrant)

Yuval said:

Going back to the subject under discussion (somehow I missed the initial posts), contrarian investing means investing contrary to prevailing sentiment. In other words, investing in stocks that few people are investing in while avoiding stocks that lots of people are investing in. Ditto with factors.

This is the cornerstone of my real-money strategy, and I’m up 24.5% YTD holding 15 to 20 stocks at a time (that’ll mean a CAGR of over 50% if 2016 continues along this route). My most heavily used factor is simply avgdailytot(90) with lower numbers being better (with some liquidity rules, of course). I also like investing in stocks with low turnover, i.e. vol/float.

The other key to being a contrarian quant investor is avoiding the most common strategies. I deliberately don’t use the TTM P/E ratio; ditto with EBITDA/EV. I deliberately pay no attention to ROE but use Greenblatt’s retun on capital instead. The accrual ratio I use rewards companies whose earnings are substantially below their operating cash flow–that’s a pretty contrarian position. I favor companies with a middling year-on-year sales growth–again contrarian. I look for stable operating margins, while most people like to see those grow. And price movements–past prices in general–play absolutely no part in my investment choices. That’s probably my most contrarian move.

Even when I apply these strategies to a smaller universe of more liquid stocks, they still work fine. I think contrarian investing still has a healthy future. There are always going to be market inefficiencies, and the whole job of a skilled investor is to exploit them.

Yesterday I joined a defensive smart alpha model with a 50% TLT hedge and invested my portfolio with the Monday rebalance. Today, I am getting destroyed by the TLT hedge.

1. TLT is down only 1.65% at the moment.
  2. TLT is a hedge. How’s the remainder of your portfolio doing?

Walter

Here it is:

TLT is down 1.52% at the moment, and the rest of the large cap portfolio is up 0.97%. The volatility of the hedge on the way down is concerning.

Well, Brexit did pump things up a bit lately. I don’t check TLT daily, but when I last checked I was a bit surprised at how much the yield fell.

Since P123 now supports individual ETFs in book, my future Smart Alpha offers will be hedge free. That way subscribers can choose hedges that satisfy their investment point-of-views.

Vive la différence!

Walter

Nice article Marc. It sounds like you should be holding TBT, a no lose position.

Folks, don’t forget there are 4 or 5 EU exit referendums still coming this year. BRexit is nothing compared to what is to come.

TLT is volatile at this level so if you are volatility-adverse then it is not for you.

Steve

“TLT is down 1.52% at the moment, and the rest of the large cap portfolio is up 0.97%. The volatility of the hedge on the way down is concerning.”

Hm. If you are worrying about a “terrible” downturn of 1.5% (while up 1% on the long side), then you are way overexposed, overleveraged or have too much capital at stake.

Congratulations with your performance. I would think that you would want to divide avgdailytot(90) by market capitalization to truly consider it a contrarian strategy :slight_smile: Otherwise I think you are just investing in SmallCaps.

Steve

Very good point, Steve. I stand corrected.

I guess looking at low share turnover–volume divided by float–would be more contrarian than looking at just average daily total. There are a lot of large-cap stocks with very low share turnover. I would think that would be a good indicator of stocks that investors don’t care much about, more or less.

What’s the ranking system and buy/sell rules?

Not sure we can consider apathy-obscurity and contrarian as being one and the same since there are different factors that will make or break one’s investment case.

Contrarian means going against conventional wisdom; saying Mr. Market is wrong. He can be wrong on light volume. He can be wrong on heavy volume. You make or break based on your assessment that he is, indeed, wrong.

With low volume or low dollars traded, the key is that Mr. Market isn’t acting on whatever opinion he has, good, bad or neutral.That could be due to liquidity (the issue is too small for it to be productive for institutions to consider it), preoccupation with more exciting themes, governance issues (e.g., it would trade well if the company didn’t have a weird stock class structure that disenfranchises public shareholders), etc., etc. etc. One key to success in this strategy is, obviously, getting the right opinion/analysis of the stock. So your opinion could be completely in line with the opinions of everyone else, but you may be better able for “policy” reasons to act on it (i.e. for example, managers of $100 billion funds agree with you but they can’t buy as part of their day jobs; but they can and do buy retail sized stakes as part of their personal accounts). But here, there’s also a step two: you could be right about the stock but get hurt because it can’t be readily traded at reasonable prices (or wrong about the stock but lucky because the one on the other side of your trade couldn’t get it done at reasonable prices).