NEW 'Factor List' tool for downloading data for AI/ML

@ marco. Thank you.This requires all of the data and you are thinking you can use this for k-fold validation, I think.

It works for that I believe.

It still requires a full download of all of the data for every rebalance to keep the linear scaling coefficient constant, if I am correct. Almost no one is going to do that I would guess.

You might need to look at ease (and cost) of rebalance as a separate issue if you want this t otake off.

Sorry guys I said something stupid. There’s currently no way to do a consistent normalization (using the same distribution stats) for the prediction data without downloading more and more data. The prediction data will not have the same min/max values as the training data but it will still range from 0 to 1 which is incorrect.

So, if normalization spanning multiple dates is what you want, then it can be costly in terms of API credits to keep normalization consistent unless we add some way of remembering the stats.

The “Factor List” is a component of our upcoming, built-in, AI factors where you will not need to download anything, and we wanted to kickstart dome discussions.

1 Like

In another thread I did an algebraic proof to show that with just one week of overlap zscores can be scaled to match each other. It will also apply across all of the zscores. This makes the very important assumption that the zscores were calculated using the entire dataset!

Unless my proof has a flaw, I think this is an acceptable solution as the added cost of rebalance is fairly low with the new tool doing total points across dates and not using API credits per date.

Hi,
Is there any way to normalise raw data using Rank but with scope e.g., Sector ?
There is no option to select scope for normalisation ( all, sector, industry, etc.)

The ability to set the scope in the front end is a future enhancement. For Rank normalization you can just transform the data with FRank . For example if your factor is Pr2BookQ then rewrite it like this

FRank(“Pr2BookQ”,#sector)

Notes
The sort parameter (#asc or #desc) is not really necessary for machine learning

For scoping z-scores that span multiple dates this workaround probably won’t give you the results you want

I tried to follow your advice @marco.

My ratio of interest is:

Eval(FRank(GMgn%TTM ,#sector, #desc, #ExclNA)=NA, 50, FRank(GMgn%TTM, #sector, #desc, #ExclNA))

This is my target data I want to download to csv file.

My setup is: 1st tab: ‘Skip Normalization’ is OFF and in 2nd tab ‘Normalization’ is OFF.
I have received this information.

Download preparation failed.
Invalid formula Eval(FRank(GMgn%TTM ,#sector, #desc, #ExclNA)=NA, 50, FRank(GMgn%TTM, #sector, #desc, #ExclNA)): A data license is required for this operation.

The only way I can run this download is to have in 1st tab: ‘Skip Normalization’ is OFF and in 2nd tab ‘Normalization’ is ON (Rank).

Then the final data to be downloaded to csv file is:

FRank(“Eval(FRank(GMgn%TTM ,#sector, #desc, #ExclNA)=NA, 50, FRank(GMgn%TTM, #sector, #desc, #ExclNA))” , #all, #DESC)

Quite convoluted but it works :slight_smile: Maybe there is a simple approach I’m not aware of.

My another suggestion us to remove constraint of 100 factors per download (increase to 1,000 or so). Sometimes a user want to download many factors for a small universe. If I have 1,000 factors I need to prepare a download 10 times.

I just completed my downloads for zscores to match the API downloads I did for rank. Overall I really like the implementation!

A few comments and questions:

1. I have 125 ish factors and I had to split them into 6 sections to download 20 years at a time for my universe. I could have split into more time periods instead, but since I need overlap to scale my normalization I went this way instead. It would be nice if there was a better way to manage this, or a more efficient download format to allow larger data downloads
  2. Will the download expand to include ETFs?
  3. When I try to download Macro factors I am getting this error:

I have tried a few dates and a period of dates

That’s one way to do it. As you’ve seen, a limitation in the backend support for this requires FRank/ZScore to be the topmost element or it will complain.

If your normalization is Rank, FRank("GMgn%TTM", #Sector, #DESC, #ExclNA) should be enough to do this. If it’s N/A Handling Middle, it will place them in the middle for you. Otherwise, one could fill N/A values with 0.5 after the fact. And of course if you want 0-100, the output can be multiplied out.

If Skip Normalization is still necessary or preferred, this formula can be shortened this way: FRank("IsNA(FRank(`GMgn%TTM`, #Sector, #DESC, #ExclNA), 50)", #All, #DESC).

@jlittleton ,

1. We upped the limits to 300 factors from 100. We’ll also up the total number of data points from 100M to 300M (requires a build so it will be the next release)
  2. Adding ETFs should be easy enough. If others want it please chime in.
  3. You are using Close_D in some series that do not support it like ##RGDP (quarterly) and ##CPI (monthly). Be sure you know the frequency before using these. For example you seem to be using ##UNRATE as a quarterly series, but it’s monthly. The easiest way is to test them is in the screener, then double click on ##CPI to find the reference which tells you the frequency of the data.

Thanks

PS you can also use the fundamental chart to see the macro series

1 Like

This fixed the issue! As a note those came from the Predefined Macro factors. Might be good to update them to work right out of the “box” for the downloads.

@marco When will we see the release of the AI / ML work you've been pluggin away on? I've read alot about it over the last few years and even got an email about how exciting it is (as my subscription is to renew shortly). Yet, I have actually seen nothing.

Can you provide a realistic eta for this?

Thank you,

Hi, it's real, it's working. Did you see this ? PREVIEW: Screenshots of upcoming AI Factors

We're testing it now. We are going to open it up soon (next week?) to about a dozen users since we have not yet purchased more hardware to support, for example, a validation study of 100 models all at once. We wanted to get a feel of real world usage of a sample of users before deciding how much we need to scale.

Thanks

1 Like

Marco, I just caught up on your post. Thanks a lot for sharing those screenshots; they were super informative. I'm glad this is real and I would like to be invited to test it out.

I did notice, though, that we're missing some key statistical data needed for analysis. Specifically, we need the t-stat of the signals in ranking (alpha/st. of alpha) to assess their significance. While the other tools are great, they don't pass this most basic test. It's crucial to determine the statistical significance of our alpha predictions, which API usage doesn't enable us to solve on our own. P123 design prevents us from doing this on our own.

The second thing we cannot do due to p123 design limitations is correlation matrices. If a user, like me, wants to create my own risk model without any help from p123, I cannot. It's such a simple addition yet years pass and even the most simple ETFs, like USMV, use these matrices and here we are without such data.

Making decisions with less data is not smarter.

There is a concern using t- or F-statistics for hypothesis testing since they rely on normality assumption and stock returns are nothing like normal. I'd rather use non-parametric tests. Yet the whole concept of testing is questionable since return distributions are highly non-stationary and samples not independent.

2 Likes

jvj,

You make some valid points I believe.

So to P123's credit they did provide a non-parametric method with the Spearman's Rank Correlation.

I like Bootstrapping a p-value as a one of several non-parametric methods I have used. For now, you can download a 20 bucket Rank performance test onto your desktop and name it Bootsraped_p_value and then run this code in Jupyter Notebooks without modifying the spreadsheet (adjusting the file path for Windows if you need to).

Here is a screenshot of the output for the code using the download of a Rank Performance test as an example:

import numpy as np
import pandas as pd

# Load the CSV file into a pandas DataFrame
df = pd.read_csv('~/Desktop/Bootstrapped_p_value.csv')

# Extract the 'Ret20', 'Universe Ret', and 'Benchmark Ret' columns
ret20 = df['Ret20'].dropna()
universe_ret = df['Universe Ret'].dropna()
benchmark_ret = df['Benchmark Ret'].dropna()

# Create the 'Ret20 - Universe Ret' and 'Ret20 - Benchmark Ret' series
ret20_minus_universe = ret20 - universe_ret
ret20_minus_benchmark = ret20 - benchmark_ret

# Set the number of bootstrap iterations
n_iterations = 10000

# Set the null value (hypothesized value)
null_value = 0

# Perform bootstrapping for 'Ret20'
bootstrap_means_ret20 = []
for _ in range(n_iterations):
    bootstrap_sample = np.random.choice(ret20, size=len(ret20), replace=True)
    bootstrap_mean = np.mean(bootstrap_sample)
    bootstrap_means_ret20.append(bootstrap_mean)

# Perform bootstrapping for 'Ret20 - Universe Ret'
bootstrap_means_ret20_minus_universe = []
    bootstrap_sample = np.random.choice(ret20_minus_universe, size=len(ret20_minus_universe), replace=True)
    bootstrap_means_ret20_minus_universe.append(bootstrap_mean)

# Perform bootstrapping for 'Ret20 - Benchmark Ret'
bootstrap_means_ret20_minus_benchmark = []
    bootstrap_sample = np.random.choice(ret20_minus_benchmark, size=len(ret20_minus_benchmark), replace=True)
    bootstrap_means_ret20_minus_benchmark.append(bootstrap_mean)

# Calculate the p-value for 'Ret20'
p_value_ret20 = np.mean(np.array(bootstrap_means_ret20) < null_value)

# Calculate the p-value for 'Ret20 - Universe Ret'
p_value_ret20_minus_universe = np.mean(np.array(bootstrap_means_ret20_minus_universe) < null_value)

# Calculate the p-value for 'Ret20 - Benchmark Ret'
p_value_ret20_minus_benchmark = np.mean(np.array(bootstrap_means_ret20_minus_benchmark) < null_value)

# Print the results
print("Observed Mean (Ret20):", np.mean(ret20))
print("P-value (Ret20):", p_value_ret20)
print()
print("Observed Mean (Ret20 - Universe Ret):", np.mean(ret20_minus_universe))
print("P-value (Ret20 - Universe Ret):", p_value_ret20_minus_universe)
print()
print("Observed Mean (Ret20 - Benchmark Ret):", np.mean(ret20_minus_benchmark))
print("P-value (Ret20 - Benchmark Ret):", p_value_ret20_minus_benchmark)

Not sure if that is helpful or if you might already be doing something like this. But P123 is not going to provide every non-parametric test we might prefer.

Also, bootstrapping can be viewed as testing a number of possible historical market conditions (by sampling different market conditions and obtaining a different history with each sample)—addressing your concern about non-stationary markets to some extent. In other words, in some samples—when using an adequately large bootstrap sample--2008 will have never occurred while in other samples there will not have been Covid. Or that period of market returns will not be in some bootstrapped samples, to be more precise. Not fitting every time to those (hopefully) rare events and/or varying the severity and length of thos events in you testing.

Jim

2 Likes

@jvj You make a good point but I don’t believe it’s one to avoid using t-stats or other statistical measures. That’s for several reasons I list below:

1. Stock returns are widely considered to be log-normally distributed. It’s not perfect but the most widely accepted. Exhibit A would be the black scholes pricing model for stock options - it assumes stock returns are log normally distributed.

2. There are solutions for dealing with other kinds of distributions. To do nothing, as @Jrinne implies, is folly. One can’t do statistical work but then not analyze it in a statistical fashion. This is one reason OOS performance here is largely left wanting, imo.

3. Total, raw, stock returns are the worst measure. If you notice in my posts, I keep suggesting alpha or a less noisy return stream. I think the new ranking system is a an acknowledgment of this.

4. P123 provides a lot of questionably valuable tools that can be a misused. By using your logic, we ought to abandon looking at P123’s simulated return stream because we can’t apply confidence to it. I do not think this is what you are suggesting yet it logically follows since we are largely left to our own intuition as to its value. P123 nonetheless and rightly provides these tools for individual users to do what they believe is best for them. I’m suggesting P123 provide users the ability to do research they believe is best, not necessary only the P123 way. For those here long enough, you'll notice a revolving door as the personalities who claim to know the "right" way to invest.

5. Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good.

I hope this better explains my thinking behind the post. I appreciate the reply as it helped coalesce my thoughts.

Thank you.

They sure do. Can we get very specific please about these additions?

First, I think you want an addition to our "Annualized Returns by Quantile". Currently we group ranks (or predictions in the case of AI factors) into quantiles (deciles in the image below) then calculate the average future returns, compound them and annualize them.

What you want is another option below that shows you the average annualized alpha for each quantile, yes?

The calculation could be done two ways I think.

One way is to just take the time series of the quantile and calculate the alpha. This is what we do for the output of the DataMiner Rank Performance operation. Also running a screen backtest with Rank>=90 will give you the alpha of the top decile. Using a rule Rank>=80 and Rank <90 will give you the alpha of the next decile. And so on.

Another way would be to calculate the expected return of each stock in the bucket, then the alpha using the future return. Then averaging and annualizing all these alphas. I think this is the method you are asking for. But I think this method basically gives the same results as the one above, so just do the easy one.

For your second addition, correlation matrices, where and what do you need?

Thanks

1 Like

Absolutely, and I deeply appreciate your willingness to consider these suggestions.

1. While you do offer excess returns, which is fantastic, the concern lies in its nature as a proxy result. The excess returns you illustrate as StockReturn_A - BenchmarkReturn are indeed how it's currently handled in the ranking system. However, the focus here isn't on excess returns, whether knowingly or unknowingly, because it doesn't account for beta. The beta you provide, which might not be the most accurate in my opinion, is crucial. See these charts.

Notice the distinct differences in each signal. Raw returns depict them as largely irrelevant. Universe returns (which ideally should align with the benchmark since I'm selecting the SP500 and IVV benchmark and universe, respectively) show marked discrepancies.

Simply observing a generic beta demonstrates the relevance of this metric and how our ranking tool isn't capturing it. In essence, a stock with a beta of 2 in a bullish market will exhibit excess returns 2x the benchmark, which isn't true alpha. Yet the ranking system will show those as excess returns. We must control for beta.

The same applies to a stock's volatility, which excludes its correlation to the index. Look at these results using 12-month historical volatility:

Just looking at a generic beta shows how this one metric is relevant and how we are not capturing it in our ranking tool. In other words, a stock with a beta of 2, in a bull market, will have an excess return of 2x the benchmark. That is not alpha. We need to control for beta

The same holds true for the volatility of a stock, which excludes it's correlation to the index. Look at this results using 12 month historical volatility:

You'll observe a similar impact.

In P123 models, we're unable to see the effects of beta or volatility on our ranking system. They remain hidden in our models, leaving us unaware of how much beta is influencing our systems. While others may develop "robust" or "all-weather" models, it's essentially layman's terms for persistent alpha.

Lastly, here's a ranking system where I normalized volatility for each bucket, ensuring each bucket has the same volatility. See how clear the signal becomes:

We should be able to achieve this programmatically within P123, where the ranking signal for each stock/bucket is made equal for beta, volatility, and one which shows true alpha returns. This creates a much cleaner signal, allowing us to compare it against a benchmark or the universe for outperformance.

Does this explanation make sense?

1. Correlation matrices are vital for managing risk. You previously shared a Google directory for these projects, to which I dedicated considerable time submitting spreadsheets and seeking feedback, which unfortunately never materialized. We need the backend database to calculate both covariance and correlation matrices for our individual universes or portfolios and then enable us to control things like beta or volatility effectively. These can be used most effectilinb in volality targeting, risk parity, and all the other portfolio managements you decribed years ago.

I hope this helped with the specificity of my remarks. If I was not clear, there are errors in my logic, anything else - please let me know. Thank you!

It sounds like you're computing the Sharpe for each bucket, in excess of the S&P500 in lieu of the risk free rate. Or are you doing something more nuanced than that?

No. Those are annualized return when each bucket is set to have the same volatility as the other.